Intergraph's GeoMedia is a geographic information system (GIS) application for working with and conducting analysis on geographic information as well as producing maps from that analysis. GeoMedia is used for the following:
- Creating geographic data
- Managing geospatial databases
- Joining business data, location intelligence, and geographic data together
- Creating hard and softcopy maps
- Conducting analysis in 'real-time'
- Providing base platform for multiple applications
- Validating geographic data
- Publishing geospatial information
- Analyzing mapped information
The system does not rely on proprietary data, but rather accesses and uses data sources directly or data that adheres to open standards, such as those defined by the Open Geospatial Consortium and others. It is an enterprise based system, providing an organization the ability to access, conduct analysis on, and distribute information through the organization or over the Web.
GeoMedia includes the following Windows desktop software, a free viewer application and three functional tier licenses.
- Free application which allows for map display, simple analysis, and output of GeoMedia GeoWorkspace data
- Intended as a distribution mechanism for data created using GeoMedia products
- Allows for dynamic, complex, and ad-hoc queries
- Performs basic spatial analysis of vector geospatial data across various data sources
- Creates layered maps
- Includes the functionality of GeoMedia Essentials
- Adds the capability to add terrain and grid functions, which allows for additional analysis on digital elevation models, flow analysis, and contour line generation
- Includes the functionality of GeoMedia Essentials and GeoMedia Advantage
- Adds the capability to collect features, linear referencing management, quality assurance and validation tools as well as database schema mapping and management
Besides the desktop platform, there are also server-based GeoMedia products and GeoMedia products for various mobile devices, including smartphones and tablet computers. Optional extensions that increase the functionality of GeoMedia can be acquired separately.
Data Types Compatible with GeoMedia
The core technology of GeoMedia makes it possible to simultaneously read data directly from multiple GIS data sources such as the following:
- Shapefiles (ESRI)
- ESRI Coverage (ESRI)
- ArcSDE via FME plug-in for GeoMedia (ESRI)
- AutoCAD DWG, AutoCAD DXF (Autodesk)
- MicroStation DGN (Bentley Systems)
- Oracle Spatial (Oracle Corporation))
- MapInfo (MapInfo)
- FRAMME (Intergraph)
- Modular GIS Environment (MGE) (Intergraph)
- GeoMedia Warehouses on the base of Microsoft Access or Microsoft SQL Server (Intergraph)
- Intergraph Website
- All about GeoMedia Integraph's project
- Jeff Hobbs Blog
- Материалы о GeoMedia и других ГИС-продуктах INTERGRAPH (Ru)
- ↑ "Powerful GIS Data Production and Analysis Moving Forward". Webinar Summer 2011. Intergraph SG&I. http://geospatial.intergraph.com/Resources/webinars/ArchivedWebinarDetails/Powerful_GIS_Data_Production_and_Analysis_Moving_Forward.aspx. Retrieved 14 August 2012.