|Headquarters||Hertogenbosch, Netherlands (corporate)|
Ghent, Belgium (operational)
|Key people||Bill Henry (CEO)|
|Industry||Geographic information systems|
|Products||Digital mapping data|
|Revenue||€308.0 million (2007) |
|Operating income||▲ €25.0 million (2007) |
|Profit||▲ €24.4 million (2007)|
Tele Atlas is a Netherlands-based company founded in 1984 which delivers digital maps and other dynamic content for navigation and location-based services, including personal and in-car navigation systems, and provides data used in a wide range of mobile and internet map applications. The company competes on a global basis with companies like Navteq, as well as with local map suppliers in individual countries. Since 30 July, 2008, the company has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of automotive navigation system manufacturer TomTom.
The company provides maps, some sourced from other mapping companies, covering 200 countries around the world, providing mapping data and "Map Enhancement Products" such as points of interest and address points. Clients of Tele Atlas include makers of automotive navigation systems as well as mobile and internet companies which provide mapping services. The firm also supplies data to clients in the public and private sectors who rely on geographic information.
On 30 June 2008 Tele Atlas announced a five-year agreement to continue to supply data to Google Maps. Under the new deal, Tele Atlas will now have access to corrections and updates to the data made by the Google Maps community.
On 23 July, 2007, a €2 billion offer for the company by navigation system maker TomTom was accepted by the Tele Atlas board. This was then trumped by a €2.3 billion offer from United States-based rival Garmin on 31 October, 2007, effectively initiating a bidding war for Tele Atlas. TomTom responded by upping their bid to €2.9 billion, an offer which was again approved by the board of Tele Atlas. Garmin had been expected to counterbid once again: with Tele Atlas' main global rival Navteq subject to a takeover bid from Nokia, the company had stated that it did not wish both companies to fall into the hands of rivals. However, after striking a content agreement with Navteq through the year 2015, Garmin withdrew its takeover offer, clearing the way for TomTom. On December 4, 2007, TomTom shareholders approved the takeover. The European Commissioner for Competition cleared the takeover in May 2008, and it closed in June.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Unaudited pro forma combined income statement for the year ended 31 December 2007" (PDF). Tele Atlas. http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/TOMTOM/608648615x0x210266/34b0005c-e658-4df2-8a3e-d0901bab192f/TomTom070308%20-%20proformasb.pdf. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- ↑ "TomTom holds 99.29 pct stake of Tele Atlas; Tele Atlas listing to end July 30". Thomson Financial News (Forbes). June 27, 2008. http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/27/afx5160878.html.
- ↑ "The Tele Atlas Advantage". Tele Atlas. http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtlas/TheTeleAtlasAdvantage/index.htm. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- ↑ Schonfeld, Erick (30 June 2008). "In New Deal With Tele Atlas, Google Maps Sends Data Back". TechCrunch]] (The Washington Post). http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/30/AR2008063000799.html. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- ↑ Kanner, Joram; van de Hoef, Marcel (2007-07-23). "TomTom Agrees to Acquire Tele Atlas for EU2 Billion". Bloomberg. http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/TomTom-agrees-to-acquire-Tele-Atlas-for-EU2-Billion_a279.html. Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- ↑ "Garmin Trumps TomTom Bid for Tele Atlas". Reuters. 2007-10-31. http://www.cnbc.com/id/21556700. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Digital mapmaker Tele Atlas endorses €2.9 billion TomTom bid". Associated Press. 2007-11-08. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/08/business/EU-FIN-COM-Netherlands-Tele-Atlas.php. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- ↑ "Garmin Withdraws $3.3B Tele Atlas Bid". Associated Press. 2007-11-16. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jIIYKygFGCMxkzidJXASRnDHqMdQD8SUR5EO0. Retrieved 2007-11-16.
- ↑ Newman, Matthew; van de Hoef, Marcel (14 May 2008). "TomTom Wins EU Antitrust Approval to Buy Tele Atlas". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=agxCR2X5oJJ4&refer=europe. Retrieved 2008-06-03.